Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Waiting to Exhale

I never really got that title, but it seemed to fit here anyway. One of my pet peeves is when people talk about how busy they are, like no one else is busy, so that is not what I'm trying to do. But this week, next week, and the following week are trying to kick my butt into some kind of crazy hyperfest of activity. And I am someone who very consciously decides what I will or will not be involved in (or my kids) because I really think there is too much random busy-ness in a lot of people's lives and I don't want that to be the case in mine. But there are times when things just pile up all at once. It seems like May has gone psycho on me and this is a way to release some of the tension I feel building up.

Besides all the regular stuff of taking care of kids (sick kids the last few days, I might add) and trying to stay on top of inside and outside household duties (getting our yard in post-winter shape is a killer), getting kids where they need to be, etc. , these are a few of the things going on:

1. Primary - I've been basically without a functioning presidency organization for about 5 months now. I have a new counselor, but she is a single mom and about to start working full-time, so you know how that goes. And my other counselor has had major health issues which has basically put her out-of-commission since February. There have been more Sundays than I can count that I have been a one man show. Thankfully, our Primary is relatively small compared to a lot I've seen. We only have about 60 kids show up any given Sunday. We have a quarterly activity this Saturday that I've been trying to get ready for.

2. Teacher Appreciation Week - Is this week. Today I was at Little J's preschool for 4 hours. Tomorrow I have things from 11:00 - 1:00 and then 2:00 - 4:30. Friday I have another thing from 8:00 - 11:30. I've made about 100 little goody bags for these appointments.

3. Classroom Coordinator - I am the classroom coordinator for Big J's class. This is actually a pretty easy job most of the time and a very small amount of stress. But I have been working with the other classroom coordinators to try to plan an end-of-year party for the entire 1st grade, something that is turning into a way bigger deal than originally thought. Also, for teacher gifts we are having the classes write what they liked best about being in their class this year. I was thinking you could put the letters in some page protectors in a binder or something and be good to go. But then I find out the other coordinators are turning it into this big scrapbook thing. I don't scrapbook. No offense to those of you who do, but I don't, and have no desire to do so. So now I need to get this scrapbook thing made so that our teacher isn't getting the ghetto book while all the other ones are getting these nice keepsakes.

4. Activities - What is it with May and all the hoopla that goes on with it? You'd think it was December or something. We've got end-of-year stuff coming out of our nose, going-to-kindergarten stuff, etc. Plus, there is all the extra things that need time carved out like Big J is testing for his yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do on Saturday (which I will miss because of the Primary activity). I need to get my hair done. I need to go shopping and get me some new clothes. That may be something that is happy for some of you, but I hate to shop and avoid it as much as possible. But all my spring/summer clothes either are super old, ugly, or don't fit anymore so I need to go. I need to find a dress for my brother's upcoming wedding, too. It all just takes big chunks of time, which I don't have. I seriously don't get it when people say they are bored during the day, because when do you have a chance to get bored?

There is more (like my parents are coming into town next weekend so that means I need to clean my messy house), but you get the idea. I think sometimes just writing it all out helps to make you feel more in control. I feel like I just had a 15 minute therapy session! I was so stressed last night that I couldn't sleep and then once I did fall asleep, I was in probably the hardest sleep I have been in since - I don't know when. Definitely not the last 7 years. I had one of those "needing to pee dreams" and almost wet the bed because I couldn't wake myself up. Seriously! Anyway, I'm ready for summer....when we can start sport camps, Vacation Bible School, baseball, swim lessons, traveling for the entire month of July... On second thought, I may need a vacation from my vacation!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya

Tori :) said...

Aren't Mom and Dad watching the kids while y'all go away? Forget cleaning the house- Mom likes to. :)

I know you're busy, but I also think you're blessed to be able to help so much at the school and stuff. I wish I was able to do that but with Livie and Taj and then the babies I watch at home- I can't right now. And it makes me sad. :( (That's your silver lining.;)

I'm glad to hear you didn't pee the bed. LOL!

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

DITTO!

Lara Neves said...

This time of year is so rough! Good luck with everything.

And I'm really glad you didn't wet your bed. :)

Anonymous said...

I was just asked to plan the end of the year party for one 1st grade class and I am doing a gift for the teacher on my own. I saw the idea for the scrapbook at familyfun.com and I do like to scrapbook, but don't have time. So here is what I'm doing. Getting a "camping chair", those kind that fold up and have the carry bag, fabric paint, and the kids in class are all going to sign their names. So you could stick with the simple book and say here's a chair for you to read your book. You're much more creative in writing, so you could make up something cool to say to connect the two gifts together. Not sure if that sounds easier or adds one more thing to your list that you have to go out and buy. There is a list of more ideas at familyfun.com. Hope it can help. Stacey