Monday, September 8, 2008

The Definition of PURE CRAP

I have not watched MTV much since I was in high school - you know, back when they were actually airing music videos. I did watch a few Real Worlds in college before they became complete sleaze. But after reading about and watching small clips from last night VMAs, I will never ever ever even turn to that channel again.

I had only heard of Russell Brand once before - and that was in conjunction with an article about how he was a British comedian that has long been known as a sex addict/womanizer (I believe the word was "lothario" - I remember because I had to look it up). Anyway, he was the host of the VMAs last night and I am disgusted not only with him, but with MTV, with the audience, and all the other people involved with that show.

The two main things that completely offended me were 1) his spewing of political vomit and 2) his spewing of amoralism by taunting those who choose to stay clean (in this case the Jonas Brothers were his victims). And his other sex-related remarks.

First of all, I don't care who any celebrity figure supports for any election. Even if it is the same person I support. But, more importantly, I especially think that people from other countries who are guests in the USA should not offer their political opinion and especially not disparage any of our leaders who are currently in office. He had no place to come and make insults against our country and its leaders. It's inappropriate and extremely disrespectful.

Second of all, I think it is so irresponsible of him and of MTV to let him make jabs at a teen group that is actually standing up for their values and choosing to stay clean. Here is a group that tons of pre-teen and teenage kids look up to and have a great chance to be a positive role model for, and here comes Mr. Sex Addict shooting them down. There is enough baseness, crudeness, and vulgarity already in the world. Let the few who have the guts to stand up for something have their tiny glimmer of light. What's worse, is that he is a GROWN MAN (in the loosest sense of that word, I might add) and he is making fun of some kids that actually are trying to be a positive influence. And referring to a woman who could possibly be the first female VP of our country as a "VPILF" is just repulsive. (I'd feel the same if it was about Hillary ;-)

And what bothers me even more is that in a venue like the MTV awards there are all these young people who are watching and listening to this loser and thinking "Ok, Mr. Bedhead Drug and Sex Addict with the foul mouth, you are so cool so you must be wise, too...." Disgusting. Seriously, was there NO ONE else that was available to host the show?

If you agree with anything I just said, I challenge everyone to email, write, or call MTV and Viacom (the parent company) and the VMA sponsors so that they know that they have hit a new low and we don't appreciate it. Also, go comment on the Jonas Brothers site and Jordin Sparks' site (she stood up for them and said, "Not everyone wants to be a slut") and tell them thank you. Better yet, go buy their albums! (I'm sure you have nephews and nieces who would appreciate them....)

If the people who do care and do have values never stand up, then this kind of tasteless, crass, tawdry, offensive, disrepectful, deplorable, shameful (shall I go on?) crap will continue.

Here is the number to call: 212-258-6000 tell them you would like the VMA comment line. Here are the sponsor lines: Pepsi 800-433-2652 and Verizon's 908-559-3500.

7 comments:

Tori :) said...

Well said Sister. I called all 3 numbers and spoke to 2 live people and left one message.
As you know- we have all the JB cds. I absolutely LOVE their example. I'll have to look into buying Jordin Sparks cd.
Great post.

Anonymous said...

AND THUS WE SEE why your wise parents did NOT allow MTV viewing in our home. Too bad you watched it at your "cool" friend's homes. :O

Karina said...

I totally agree. I cheered when Jordin Sparks said what she said. I was so upset also that I left a message on Mtv's blog. What was shocking to me was what Perez Hilton said about Brand after the show. He was also disgusted with what he said about the JB, and he's not the nicest guy either.

Tori :) said...

We watched it at our friends homes?

swampbaby said...

After posting this, I realized that actually any videos we ever watched were on VH1. And, no, I had better things to do at my friends' house than watch MTV....

Tori :) said...

Yes, and VH1 is wonderful because they bring me my ROCK OF LOVE. It's not crap at all... ;)

Mac said...

I called Verizon