Sunday, September 28, 2008

Weekend Recap

Friday night Big J had a flag football game. The weather has been perfect, so it has been nice to be outside during his practices and games. The boys entertain themselves rolling down hills and playing in piles of dirt, so it is a pretty relaxing time. Big J has never played football before, but I have a feeling he will probably want to do it every year. He really enjoys it. And Friday night he caught the first and only interception for his team...and then proceeded to jump up and down in a kind of victory dance holding the ball high above his head. It was cute.

Then we had a pretty busy Saturday. I ran in a 5k, then Big J had a Tae Kwon Do belt test, then I had a hair appointment - color and cut (it's dark again), and then that evening there was the big Relief Society broadcast and dinner that I went to while JC has his "boyfriends" over to play Xbox. I actually didn't make it to the dinner part and was 15 minutes late to the other part, but at least I tried.

I was a little nervous about this 5k because all week I have had insomnia and so at the times I could have run, I took a nap instead!!! And then Friday morning I woke up and got out of bed and nearly fell over because I had vertigo so bad. I had it until the afternoon. I don't know what the deal was, because that night I slept fine and woke up feeling fine. Maybe I have a brain tumor. Who knows. Anyway - back to the run. It was a beautiful morning and a pretty easy course (i.e. hardly any hills - yea!) and so it was fun to do. My time was about 28 minutes. I haven't looked yet at the official results to see where I fell in my age category.

The half marathon is on October 18th and although I know I am in better shape for it than for the one I did in March, I haven't been very good about doing my long runs. Like I should have done some 9, 10, and 11 mile runs by now and I haven't. I've done a few 8 milers and about twice a week do 5 -6 miles, and then either a shorter or longer run, but I haven't gotten close to that 13 mile mark since March when I ran the last one! And I haven't been very diligent some weeks about running at all. But I know I will finish it, I just don't want to totally suck it up.

Big J did well on his belt test and is now a green belt! We kept telling him to just do his thing and not look at everyone else, because when he doesn't look to check himself with those around him, he does great. When he starts looking at them he second-guesses himself and then gets messed up. So I was really proud of him for just getting out there and doing what he knows. Congrats, Big J!

5 comments:

Sarah Oman said...

How did your run go Tara??? I sure wish it was easier to get back into!

Tori :) said...

Way to go Big J!! The interception and the karate- awesome!!

I think I'm gonna get some rollerblades. I suck at running. You are so cool.

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

I hate vertigo! inner sinus' That could be the prob!

I was going to try to support you that weekend! But now Lonnie will be in Chicago! So me and all my kidos might be there!

swampbaby said...

Sarah - I was 11th out of 29 in my age category. 28:14 was my time. Pretty much the same time I've gotten in all my 5ks...

Rach said...

Good job on the running. I wish I was motivated to get back on the treadmill. Sounds like Big J has had a fun week. And, the author of the quote I put on my blog is Pablo Casals