Sunday, October 10, 2010

Little Man's Birthday Bash

Big J and Little Man's birthdays are 11 days apart, so we have had yet another week of birthday celebrations. Does anyone else have weeks of celebration as opposed to a day? Little Man brought some cookies to his speech therapy class (which is just him and two other kids), then he took a cookie cake for his preschool class, plus we had cupcakes on his actual birthday here at home. Then he had his birthday party. All during the week presents were arriving from out-of-towners and so he basically ate treats and opened presents for a week. What a life!

We had his birthday party on Saturday. It was quite the feat to arrive at a party theme, mainly because Little Man is so easy going and happy with whatever he would change what he wanted to do with every suggestion. When asked what he wanted (as in a present) for his birthday, he said, "Oh, I think I would just like to have some ice cream at my birthday party!" He has told me on more than one occasion that he is going to be a construction worker when he grows up, so eventually he got excited about having a construction birthday party, so that is what we did.


I think it turned out way better than I thought it would, because most of the things were ideas floating around in my head that just kind of came out on the day of in some form or another.  Little Man had fun, though, and told me, "I want that same birthday party every year!"

For decorations, I made lots of different signs that said things like "Fun Zone" or "Yield Party Ahead", things like that, and hung them around the yard with lots of balloons. His "cake" was a dump truck full or brownies (so it looked like dirt). I found these really cute little construction vehicle candles we used, too. We also had some caution tape around that said "Birthday Zone" up in various places.



Then we had a few activities. As the kids arrived, they got to decorate their own construction hat with stickers. Then we had a game where I had hidden little construction vehicles in the sandpit, and they had to dig in the sand to find them all. We played an obstacle course type game where they ran in and out of cones and then at the end got to hammer in four "nails" (golf tees into styrofoam) before running back to the line. And of course we had a pinata shaped like a dump truck. Then we ate and opened presents!



 




 
 

Happy Birthday, Little Man!

5 comments:

Karina said...

What an awesome birthday party, You always have the best ideas!

The Griner Family: said...

It was such a great idea! Thank you so much for inviting Caleb! He has a blast!!

Daisie said...

The girls had such a great time!! You did an awesome job!! You always do! So good to see you!

Tori said...

I am SO LAME.
That is all.
Oh- and happy bday Little Man.

Jamie Dana said...

You throw the BEST parties! Such cute ideas. I will always remember the baby shower you threw for me when I was pregnant with Katelyn. You made a bear cake and the food and games were so much fun.