Well, not really. But I decided I don't want to be fat anymore, so this is the second day of my "diet." I use that term loosely because I have never dieted and don't believe in diets. But I am writing down everything I eat and being more disciplined. Do I really need that second helping? Do I really want that Grilled Stuft Burrito? (Yes, but that's beside the point...)
Weight is a funny thing. I've never been one to really care about how much the scale says, I just cared about how I looked. I've always weighed more than people usually think I am. Kind of like people have always thought I was a lot taller than I actually am. I don't know why? But now to me my weight represents apathy and not being in control. And I don't like that.
It's not so much what I eat. I am not a big snacker and don't eat a lot of junk. I buy whole grains, low-fat or fat-free items, eat fruit, etc. I drink lots of water. I don't have a Coke, chocolate, or alcohol habit I need to kick. I like all the tasty, naughty things you can eat, but I don't make a habit of consuming them. Instead, I've noticed other poor habits I have. In the two days I've been conscientiously trying to re-train myself, I've realized two major things I need to change to make this work:
Bad Habit 1: I need to not eat so sporadically. Lots of times I will eat a later breakfast so I'm not hungry for lunch. But then I'm out and about running errands and get hungry mid-afternoon. So I eat something on the go or just whatever is around as a late lunch. Then when dinner comes, I'm not that hungry because I ate so late, so I don't eat that much. Then since I didn't eat much, I'm hungry late and eat something at like 10:00 at night.
Bad Habit 2: I get seconds and/or my portions are "American-sized" instead of what an actual serving should be.
So I'm trying to be more responsible with my eating habits, and hopefully will lose weight in the process. I have been overweight (for me) since I had my second baby - almost 4 years ago!! Depressing. I am tired of it. I don't want to be the fat mom. I don't want to be sucking wind when I am playing with my boys. I don't want to have my grandma's butt! And I don't want to be at the mercy of food. SO....
My goal is to lose 25 pounds by April 19th. I need to lose more than that, but that is what I'm shooting for now. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
6 comments:
We'll try this again... It didn't let me post a few minutes ago. I just wanted to say good for you!! It's sooo much easier to just not think about health or weight than to do something about it. I gained some weight after having my first two so close together and it wasn't until March of '05 that I finally decided to get rid of it. I ended up losing 15 pounds and got back to my high school weight. I can't tell you how much better I felt about myself and about being a good examply of health for my girls. Since Thanksgiving I've gained 5 pounds due to eating too much and being exercise lazy since the move. I need to get back on the ball! I'll do it with ya. Good luck, you can do it!!
Interested in joining a gym? Same thing - need to loose a total of AT LEAST 70 lbs! Its open 24/7 and I go everyday except Sunday. :-)
I'm going for 14 pounds by April 1. I've lost 6 of them. Now comes the hard part! I figure 8 more pounds in like 10 weeks is doable. But I'm trying to retrain myself too so I don't gain it all back after I lose it. I don't want to be "dieting", I want to just eat better and exercise daily.
So, yeah... why am I commenting? We email back and forth about this everyday. :)
Love you Sister.
(And I haven't seen you in a while but I don't think you have Grandma's butt...)
Hear, hear! to all of you for trying to do better. Thanks for the support.
Ann - I'd love to, but I can't justify joining a gym when I have a treadmill, full weight bench, exercise ball, double jogging stroller, exercise DVDs and videos, etc. etc. in my own basement. You are awesome going everyday!
Tori - Grandma Wright's butt. I'm afraid I do.
What did Grandma Wright's butt look like?? I think you should post a picture... :)
Good luck!!! I hate those extra pounds that loom over you every single day. I need to lose a few pounds myself but my self-control is lacking. I have always thought you were so good at not eating junk. I'm sure you'll meet your goal and hopefully more by April. I remember in college I was always jealous of your super skinny waistline(all 10 inches of it). Before you know it you'll have it back again and you can motivate the rest of us to get on the ball, literally. Heidi
Post a Comment