Saturday, March 31, 2007

Good Book

I enjoy reading and normally will go through a couple of books every 4 -6 weeks. Since I had Little Man, I hadn't read anything until our trip. I read The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn Beer and highly recommend it. It is non-fiction, but is written so it reads very easily. It is about the author, a Jewish woman who grew up in Austria, and how she survived the Holocaust. It was so interesting to me to see how she went from being a middle-class, popular, law student in love with her boyfriend to a slave in a labor camp, to a hunted Jew on the Gestapo's wanted list hiding underground, to the wife of a member of the Nazi party. Her husband eventually becomes an officer in the Nazi army, and she has a child by him - the only Jewish child known to be born in a Reich hospital.

World War II and all that went on during that time has always intrigued and frightened me. I have read a lot of books about this time period and about people like this woman who survived it, and I never tire of them. My favorite is The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. I guess the Holocaust holds a morbid fascination for me because it is incomprehensible how something like that could take place. After reading accounts like this one, I still cannot imagine the burdens these people bore and the autrocities that took place. But I like to read their stories because of their triumphant spirit. I like to think that if I had to face something like that, that I would be strong enough not only to survive it, but to not let it canker me.

4 comments:

Tori :) said...

I haven't read a book since The Hiding Place and I really liked that one. So, I'll do my best to read this one too. It sounds really intriguing. Is that spelt right?

Maddy said...

Sounds really interesting. I'm always looking for a good book, so thanks for the reccomendation!

swampbaby said...

Tori - wasn't that like 2 years ago??

Maddy - thanks for stopping by! I could give you a whole list of really good books to read if you want it.

Tori :) said...

Yeah...what's your point? ;) I've started books, I just haven't finished them before they were made into movies.