We had a really fun birthday party for him on Saturday. I've always let my kids pick what kind of theme they want their party to be. We've had bears, puppies, Buzz Lightyear, dinosaurs, fish, Robin Hood, knights, Go Diego Go - you name it! This year Big J wanted to have an army party. It was actually really fun and easy to pull together.
His invitations were recruitment letters, everyone got "gear" issued when they walked in, we had basic training through an obstacle course and then they got sent on a top secret mission to recover their lost comrades (army guys we had hidden in the yard).
They got to have a "battle" with water balloons and then beat the heck out of a tank-shaped pinata. It was fun. And this year was the first year I splurged and bought a cake, because I saw the design at the store and thought it was too cute (and the little tank was actually a transformer; and it actually said his name instead of Big J):
I love Big J! He has the BEST SMILE and LAUGH. He'll tell us a joke and then crack himself up so much that he cries! He is a GREAT BIG BROTHER and his little brothers look up to him and want to be with him all the time.
He is SMART and loves to learn. I am grateful to say that we have moved well beyond the I'm-going-to-pull-out-my-hair-while-he-learns-to-read stage. A couple of months ago it just clicked with him and he loves to read! He tested at a level 16 at the beginning of this school year (and was already moved up to level 17) - they want all exiting 1st graders to be at a level 20 or above. (Yes, I'm bragging. At least I don't have a bumper sticker.) He is always "quizzing" us at dinner about math problems or how to spell words.
He's a FUNNY kid. Like yesterday he kept opening up a birthday card he had received that would play the Scooby Doo theme. He goes, "I like to think of the words in my head and then move my mouth so it looks like I'm singing them" and then proceeded to demonstrate. He had no idea that it was called lip-synching and thought he was so cool lip-synching and grooving along.
Big J is SWEET. He still gives his kindergarten teacher hugs if he sees her after school. He'll come up to me and give me a hug for no reason. The other day I was looking up some things in the boys' baby books, and I read him a little letter I had written to him after he was just born. When I finished, I looked at him and he had tears in his eyes.
On the other hand, he is ALL BOY. All boy. I'll just leave it at that.
I love you, Big J! Have a great year!
1 comment:
YAY!! Happy Birthday Big J!! You are awesome and we love you!!
Post a Comment