Little Man has a milk allergy. We have been aware of this for quite a while, but the problem came after he was weaned at a year. At first, he was fine drinking either vanilla flavored soy milk or a soy-based toddler drink. Then one day, I literally went to the store to get more, came home, and he would not touch the stuff. He refused to drink it. He'd take one sip and shake his head "no" and give it back to me.
I tried on and off for a long time to get him to drink some milk again. I tried different combinations. I tried mixing in chocolate or strawberry. I tried rice milk. I tried just telling him it was juice. I finally gave up and he has basically only had diluted juice or water to drink since then (about 3 months). I've been a little worried about him not getting enough calcium and protein and also about his calorie intake. He eats a lot, but most of what he eats really has no substance to it - like fruit.
Then two days ago I got the disgusting idea of diluting his juice with the soy milk instead of water.
I went and got a little quart of soy milk and used that to dilute his juice down and he went for it! (Except for when I filled his sippy cup too high and so it was foaming a little out of the spout. You know he has a thing with bubbles). It sounds sick, but I tried a little sip and it actually tastes kind of like a smoothie.
So far so good.
Any other suggestions out there on how to get some milk into him?
4 comments:
Sophie is allergic to both soy and dairy and so we do rice milk. It's sweeter and also comes in the vanilla flavor.
They do have soy yogurt!
As far as the calcium you're better off getting it from another food source, like brocoli (yeah right)
For protein: give him a chicken leg!! LOL
None of my kids have drank milk! I think they turned out okay???!!
LOL
Can you get him to eat soy yogurt? My sister is lactose intolerant and that's the only way my parents could get her to get her milk intake.
Thank You Tara! Because my girls aren't refusing it, but they are getting a rash every time I give it! So I am grateful for the suggestions as well! Thanks! Miss Ya!
Post a Comment