Tuesday, April 1, 2008

True Crimes

THE PERPETRATOR:


THE WEAPON:
THE CRIME:

I came home yesterday from picking up Big J at school and right when I walked in the door, I saw this on our kitchen wall (it's about the size of a quarter):

There were also two small scibbles on the kitchen floor. Then my eyes immediately saw this design on the side of our kitchen counter:

I called Little J down asking him what the heck was going on and if he had marked anywhere else. I could tell by the look on his face that he had - and it was bad. I told him to show me. He took me into the living room, all the while my heart failing, and said, "Over there," while indicating the general direction with his head.

"Where?" I ask.

"Over there. Behind the couch."

"Show me."

So he takes me around the side of our loveseat and shows me this -










Are you ready?












Are you sure?


Here's a close-up in case you want a better look:

Here's another angle to capture the full effect:

This masterpiece on the back of my loveseat is a detailed image of a Star Wars battle. I have NO IDEA what was going on in his head to make him do this! He was our wall scribbler when he was a baby, but the kid just turned 5! He knows better. I almost cried. He told me he "just loves to draw so much" and was "scared he was going to run out of paper." He also told me that he thought it would "make our couch look cooler." Well, in that case....

If anyone is interested in a 7-year-old loveseat with an original work of art by a yet-to-be-discovered artist, let me know.

24 comments:

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

YEP!!! Looks like something that would happen at my house. See my blog history for Sydneys masterpiece!!

Lara Neves said...

I was not ready for that. I was thinking it would just be on the wall....hoping a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a lot of elbow grease could take care of it.

Yipes! I guess you could always push it against the wall. It is good Star Wars art, though. :)

Tori :) said...

I showed Taj what his cousin did and said, "I will beat him and get him in big trouble. I will keep fighting and fighting." LOL!

Oh Sister, that is so bad!! Most of our artwork is under the kitchen table. If it makes you feel any better our brand new carpet has pink polka dots in several areas thanks to my spitting-llama daughter and koolaid.

It really is a good drawing.

Tori :) said...

Where was JC during all this???

Rach said...

Oh my gosh!! So sorry about your loveseat. It just had to be a sharpie didn't it?? We keep our sharpies locked up with the medicine!!! =)

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

I cannot believe that!!! I do have to give him some credit... he is very talented. And your sister does raise a good point, where was JC again during all of this? Maybe you should ground him (JC) from X-box!

Maddy said...

OH.MY.GOSH! That is so wild. Ellie was never a scribbler on the walls sort of kid either, but she's gotten worse as she's gotten older.

I'll find the name ELLIE written on the tile or something and ask her who did it. "Ummmm, maybe Nate?' Uh yeah, sweetie, maybe next time you plan on blaming your 3 year old borther, don't spell your name.

Nothing will ever compare to the couch though. And no, I was not ready for that!

Sarah Oman said...

I would have flipped out and probably had one less boy around the house.Oh man, it makes wonder about kids...
good luck with that one.

swampbaby said...

I am still in shock. And nothing is making it come out. It's a goner. And in answer to the question of where was JC, he was in the next room working... Little J is very stealthy.

~j. said...

Hoooooooooooly Moley. My jaw dropped while reading this. I heard once that hairspray works to get Sharpie out of stuff, but I don't know for certain. Why do kids have an internal radar to know where to find Sharpies? (And scissors and glue and...)

As an aside, Monica told me that when she was little she wrote "Carolyn" on a bed and when it was found, her sister got in trouble even though Monica's the one who wrote it. Too smart.

Anonymous said...

WOW. All I can say is, "Wow." The fact that your head is still on top of your shoulders is a miracle. You must be very Zen.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to sign the last comment.
Prima Davah

JC said...

Yes, I was working. I usually have headphones on while working so I am not distracted by trivial things such as kids decorating the house, furniture, etc. I also sit facing a window looking out into the back yard. So I don't see anything going on around me. Plausible deniability.

Carina said...

That's unbelievable.


(And also completely believable in my house, check back with me in one year.)

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

Yes, all children can be very "stealthy" at time!!!
I always "know" what's up, but usually after the crime!!

S said...

I say KEEP it and give to him for a wedding present! My son took the same weapon in black and signed his name all OVER my house on wood floors. One is still under my bed, and it makes me smile everytime I see it. He is fourteen now. He also put arrows from bedroom to his dad's office.(nice)
BTW followed you from yo crazy sister blog.

Klin said...

You know once he gets discovered it may be worth something.






Linked ya from Tori.

Whitney said...

Oh my jaw just dropped to the floor. he he! :)
You could always just save that part of it and then get the couch re-upholstered?
That will be a fun story to remind him of when he's older though.

I visited from Tori's blog!

Anonymous said...

what was JC's reaction when he saw it? ....I always know my kids are up to no good when they are quiet.

Tori :) said...

Woo hoo! I made you famous!! (Or at least Lil J's artwork is famous...)

Super Happy Girl said...

"...scared he was going to run out of paper." Valid point

"...make our couch look cooler" Valid point

Star Wars Masterpieces such as this one come once in a lifetime IMO.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's good, at first I thought it was a reenactment of the 10 commandments movie.

My son drew with black sharpie on our couch and rubbing alcohol and a professional carpet cleaner got it all out - it wasn't chemdry - it was a steam cleaner old fashioned dude with some powerful magic! Might be worth a shot.

fawndear said...

You've got to give him credit for actually drawing pictures instead of scribbling. My walls are an art gallery of scribbles and I've decided not to paint until my youngest is at least 5, no wait, 6 years old.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is crazy!!!!!