Monday, May 23, 2011

Wow. Is May already almost over?

This month has been C.R.A.Z.Y. busy. My kids' last day of school is tomorrow and I am SO glad. I am ready to take a breather.

Things of significance this month:

Mother's Day was really nice. My boys pooled their own money and got me some of those little bags of sports jelly beans I use on my long runs. Little Man also saw some hot pink wristbands at a sample sale down the street and insisted to JC that I needed to have them. (These will make an appearance later - see below). Big J made breakfast of eggs and bacon all by himself and then JC gave me beautiful yellow roses and grilled some steaks for dinner. I think I got a nap that day, too. I felt pampered and like they actually remembered it was Mother's Day :-)
My Loves on Mother's Day - I don't know why I never think to take a picture with them.
 
We celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary on the 9th. We planned to go to a new restaurant I wanted to try, but found out that it wasn't open on Monday. How's that for planning? So we went to Jack Stack Barbeque and had a delicious dinner with just us. I guess I should have taken a picture of us or something. We just aren't cheesy like those couples that take pictures of themselves all the time....jk Sister. I can honestly say I love JC more now than I did when I married him and I think that is good.

The second weekend of the month, JC took the boys on the annual father/son campout. The boys were looking forward to it so much and I am really happy the weather actually cooperated that one day so they could go. They fished, shot guns, made smores, played capture the flag in the dark, played kickball, and did all sorts of manly things. They made it back with only one unattached tick and one tiny patch of poison ivy. Little Miss and I stayed home and swung, jumped on the trampoline, and then cuddled up together on the couch to watch some riveting episodes of Go, Diego, Go!, her current obsession.

Big J caught a big fish. He caught a small 4 - 5 inch one a few days later at his 4th grade picnic. JC took the fishing poles to the park and they fished in the little lake there.
 

The next week, on top of all the other regular things like preschool, speech, piano, Scouts, Mary Kay, YW, etc., went something like this:

Monday - Big J 4th grade celebration and picnic at park, Little J 2nd grade spelling bee
Tuesday - Little J 2nd grade celebration and picnic at park
Wednesday - nothing out of the ordinary just Scouts and YW
Thursday - Little J 2nd grade geography bee, Big J specials award ceremony, Little Man end of year preschool celebration and picnic
Friday - Little J end of year awards assembly and later in the day his end of year party (which I am the coordinator for - had an ice cream truck come - easiest party ever)
Saturday - 5k race
Monday (today) - Big J end of year awards assembly

I pretty much feel like I lived at the school for the past week. But some things of note about the above happenings:

Little J did well in his spelling bee and got 7th place. He was disappointed because as soon as he spelled "citys" he knew he had made a mistake, but you can't go back and correct it. But I was proud he even made it to the spelling bee. He also made it to the geography bee and did so well. He was really motivated to win and studied above and beyond and really knew his stuff. He went out on a question because he said an answer I had told him while reviewing that was wrong. It broke my heart. He was really disappointed but handled it as graciously as he could. It was dumb luck he happened to get that one question that I had happened to tell him the wrong answer to, but I can't describe how terrible I felt and kept crying about it on and off all day long. Five of the kids went out on the same question. Just for future reference - Des Moines is west of Chicago, not northwest!

He didn't look very excited being presented either of his certificates at the awards assembly later in the week. But Little J has really excelled this year. He loved his teacher, which really helped, and had a really good experience in 2nd grade. Last month he was admitted into the Quest program at school. He scored 99.9% on his testing.

 Spelling Bee

 Geography Bee

Awards Ceremony - can't you feel the excitement?

Big J was awarded several awards in his ceremonies. At his specials award ceremony (art, music, PE, computer, Spanish) he got several certificates, one of which was the fastest typer in his class :-) He liked that one best because along with the certificate he got a chocolate bar that was covered to look like a keyboard. At his assembly today he was awarded a medal for exemplary achievement for his reading assessments and also a zero tardies trophy. Good thing our neighbor does the morning carpool!



Little Man loved preschool this year and had a wonderful teacher. Unfortunately, the weather was being crazy and thunderstorming the day it was suppose to be his end of year celebration, so it had to be moved inside and be somewhat abbreviated. He still had fun, though. Next year he will be in three days a week and is already looking forward to it.



Saturday I ran in a 5k race for Girls on the Run. I think it is a great organization that promotes self-esteem and positive body image in preteen girls. It ended up being perfect weather for a race with a good course. It was hilly, but nothing overly steep, and I ran it in 26.35 which was a personal best. I actually got first place out of 63 in my age division. Overall, I was 33rd out of 833. I realize if it had been a bigger race I wouldn't have medaled, but hey, I'll take it! My next race is the Hospital Hill 10k on June 4th. I did Hospital Hill about 3 years ago and it is a big race around here. I was suppose to do it last year, but I threw out my back right before it. It's a tough race due to the heat, humidity, and oh yeah, HILLS.  Any race whose T-shirts say "I Conquered the Hill" you can bet they are pretty killer hills. That is why I do the 10k and not the half marathon.

 Notice the hot pink wrist bands. Little Man told me when he gave them to me, "If you wear these they will make you run really fast." So I wore them for him and look what happened. I see a trademark coming on.

Little Miss has enthusiastically been participating in anything and everything she gets lugged around to. That girl has quite the personality. She is talking so much now and is such a goofball. She is such a smart cookie. As of right now, she can consistantly identify about 20 out of the 26 letters of the alphabet and several numbers as well. She is very excited to point them out all over the place. She knows the majority of her colors, too. I can not believe she will be 2 years old next month!! We are going to Texas the week after her birthday, so I think we will have a party there.

 

This week still has quite a few things on the calendar, but I am looking forward to the summer break. I hope the weather here decides to cooperate and we can actually get some swimming and fun stuff in. Scout camps, vacation bible school, and swim lessons are on the menu. No baseball this summer because we also have several trips planned and would miss too much (and the boys didn't seem too interested this year anyway). Texas, Florida and Seattle here we come!

2 comments:

Tori said...

Your kids are cool. I always feel like a sucky mom after reading your posts.
Nothing is wrong with being cheesy and taking pics of yourself... haha
I'm still trying to get motivated to start running...

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get motivated to start running also. My 14 yr old son started track last year and loved it, so he did it again this spring and he runs x-country in the fall. He will start HS next year (9th grader, boy am I starting to feel old) anyway he got his training program today that he is supposed to follow this summer. I keep thinking I should try running with him because it would make him go faster to stay in front of me, so that it doesn't look like we know each other.
By the way we are not out of school until June 17th, ice storm this winter is to blame:(
Congrats on another school year complete and awesome job by your kids! Stacey