Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Goings On

I am happy to report I did indeed survive JC being gone for half the month and that I actually got quite a bit done while he was away. That fact may or may not be related.

I am also happy to report that I did complete the half marathon on the 16th. The week leading up to it had beautiful, warm sunny weather and then Friday a huge storm rolled in and Saturday was terrible. Especially for running long distances outside. I am grateful it still wasn't raining, but it was butt. cold. When I got there, the temperature was 34 and the wind chill was 23. Even in and of itself that would be bearable, but not when the freezing wind is blowing 20 - 30 mph, which is what we had. Any of you who live out this direction knows how bitter the wind is. It is not a dry cold and the wind chills you to the bone. It was horrible. I got out of my car at the race and immediately got back in, ready to drive home. I sat in there for a good 20 minutes debating whether or not I really wanted to do it. I am just not that hardcore. Not like the guy that was running by me later in a sleeveless shirt, shorts, and no socks or shoes. What finally made me decide to suck it up was that I didn't want to go home and tell my kids I wimped out.

So I got out about 15 minutes before the start time and tried to get warmed up and stretch to no avail. I pretty much just jumped into the pile of runners right at the last minute and decided to just get on with it and get it over with.  By around mile 2 or 3 I started to be able to feel my face. I was so glad I had gotten a windbreaker type jacket the night before because I think I would have frozen otherwise. I was actually keeping a really good pace for me throughout the race, but what set me back was that my left calf kept tightening up and I had to stop and stretch it 4 different times! But despite that, and despite the cold, I actually finished about a minute better than my previous best time. I was really hoping to finish by 2:05, which I would have, but I ended up finishing at 2:07:50. I was 29/89 in females 35 - 39, 184/516 in all females, and 405/836 overall. 
 

The bummer was that after not wanting to wimp out because of my kids, we all missed each other at the finish line. I didn't see them and they didn't see me. I didn't know they were there until I got a text 30 minutes later from JC saying, "We are at the finish line...." By that time I had already walked around at the post race things and was back at my car. So I ran back up so we could get a picture made.

We've had a lot of things going on, which always seems the case towards the end of the school year. May looks crazy! But the best thing that has happened was that Little J was baptized this past weekend. My parents were able to come up for it, so I was glad they were able to be here. I thought Little J's baptism was beautiful and I am really proud of him for making that decision.


 Do you see a pattern here with Little Man and taking group pictures? 

 SO Handsome!

We had enough Easter desserts to last until next Easter thanks to the Young Women camp fundraiser dessert auction that was on Friday night. Or I guess I should say thanks to my parents' generous spirits that bought a plethora of desserts to support the cause. On Saturday, we did our neighborhood Easter egg hunt and also hid eggs in the backyard. Then Little J took over as entertainment guide and hid eggs and directed activities for the younger ones.

On Easter, I dropped a glass measuring cup and it broke. A piece of it jumped up and cut my ankle about an inch across. It didn't even hurt or bleed at first, so I just started cleaning up the glass and thinking about making mashed potatoes. Then it started to bleed so I stuck a band aid on it. Shortly thereafter the band aid was saturated. Long story short - it was a pretty significant cut, but Super Glue and athletic tape work well when you are in a pinch and need to keep making your Easter dinner. Three days later and it is healing up quite nicely.

 Our traditional Easter pancake breakfast.

 My dad hid some money eggs so the boys were all over that. 


 Saturday night I told Little Man that he needed to put out his Easter basket for the Easter bunny to leave treats and he looked at me funny and goes, "The Easter Bunny doesn't come to our house!" I said, "Sure it does." He says, "I've never put out my basket before and it has never come before." I corrected that statement, to his utter disbelief. So there you have it - they don't remember any of it anyway! At least not before they are four.

2 comments:

Daisie said...

Tara....I love your description of race day! We are nuts to have gone through with it!!! J/K! I am so glad I saw you there! We really need to find a 10K to do together next year! Or sometime this fall! Loved seeing all the pictures of your family for Easter, and of Jaxon's baptism! Sad we couldn't make it!

Tori said...

YAY for your 1/2 marathon!! You look really good!!
I wish we had been able to spend Easter together. I'm sorry we weren't at Lil J's baptism. :(