I sat down to write about what I've been up to and basically it is the hustle and bustle of daily life. Is it just me, or does April and May just turn into crazy busy months? JC left town on Thursday for work and won't be back until the 15th, so that adds an entirely new aspect of adventure to the daily happenings. I may be certifiable by the time he comes back. The weather has been schitzophrenic and can't decide to be warm (like the 87 degrees it was on Friday) or thunderstorm and hail or be cold (like the current 33 degrees). I am so ready for it to be nice and warm!!
I didn't think I had done that many things out of the normally scheduled things since I posted last, but then I realized that I've: planned and executed a ward activity that the youth were in charge of, gone to my Mary Kay Career Conference, helped with a teacher appreciation spa day up at the kids' school, entered into the world of pet owners with some dwarf hamsters, and ran in my first 10k of the year (my first 10k since I got pregnant with Little Miss, actually, so it's been a LONG time).
The activity turned out well from all accounts, even though I wasn't able to be there at the actual event because I was at career conference. We did a dessert potluck with Minute-to-Win-It challenges. Everyone had a punch card with numbers and when they completed a challenge they either got a circle around it if they did it within a minute or an "x" through it if they didn't win it. At the end we determined who the top winners were and had the final challenges for the championship. It was a pretty simple idea, but I think it had good results and created an atmosphere for good interaction.
Career Conference took place over a Friday afternoon through Saturday evening. Among other highlights, a homeless-looking guy with dreads down to the floor sent his friend over to me while I was eating lunch to tell me he wanted to hook up. Oh yeah, I've still got it! I politely declined while stating that I was married with four kids which produced plenty of ribbing from all his pals. Besides added bonuses like this, I like to go to those events because there are not many places you can surround yourself with so much positivity. I am so impressed with the resiliency, work ethic, faith, and attitude of the powerful women we are able to learn from.
We have been pet-free since our short foray into having a kitten about 6 years ago. The kids have wanted to have a pet so bad for so long, but I just couldn't bring myself to have something else to take care of or more poop to have to worry about. I would satiate their appetite for wanting a pet by pet-sitting Little J's class guinea pig every once in a while. We had it most recently over Spring Break, and Little J did such a good job of taking care of it and it brought them so much entertainment, I started to think that maybe I could handle having a small animal confined to a cage. Just about that time, some people we know had some baby dwarf hamsters they were wanting to find homes for. So, now we have the very fluffy and active Buddy and the albino and pretty lazy Fluffy (both girls, despite what the names may indicate). You would be surprised at how much entertainment they have provided. I think it was a good choice for us.
I ran my first 10k (6.2 miles) of the season on Saturday. I had never done this race before, but am so glad I did because I really loved the course. It was in a beautiful area and although there were hills, the last bit had a nice downhill push. It was nice weather, even though it was chilly in the low 30s when we started. The last time I did a 10k, I did it in a little over an hour, so my goal was to do this race in an hour or less. I set a new personal best at 56.03 minutes, so I was happy with that. For my female 35 - 39 division I placed 27/187 and overall 379/1391. My next race is a half marathon on the 16th, so we will see how that goes. I have to admit that I really enjoy the 10k distance much more than the half, and I always wonder why I sign up for half marathons when I don't like to do the long runs to train. Why is that??? I guess I like the challenge.So we shall see how it goes.
Until then, I will leave you with a great ant-killing remedy. We always get ants in our kitchen every spring. This year they started moving in again and I was spraying them and stinking up the place like usual. So I found a recipe for a natural mixture that kills them. You mix an equal amount of powdered sugar with baking soda, and then add about a 1/3 of that amount of active dry yeast. Then you sprinkle it around where they come in. The sugar masks the other stuff and they take it back to the nest and it kills them. I did that 3 days ago and have only seen one ant since. Just add "exterminator" to my resume.
I didn't think I had done that many things out of the normally scheduled things since I posted last, but then I realized that I've: planned and executed a ward activity that the youth were in charge of, gone to my Mary Kay Career Conference, helped with a teacher appreciation spa day up at the kids' school, entered into the world of pet owners with some dwarf hamsters, and ran in my first 10k of the year (my first 10k since I got pregnant with Little Miss, actually, so it's been a LONG time).
The activity turned out well from all accounts, even though I wasn't able to be there at the actual event because I was at career conference. We did a dessert potluck with Minute-to-Win-It challenges. Everyone had a punch card with numbers and when they completed a challenge they either got a circle around it if they did it within a minute or an "x" through it if they didn't win it. At the end we determined who the top winners were and had the final challenges for the championship. It was a pretty simple idea, but I think it had good results and created an atmosphere for good interaction.
Career Conference took place over a Friday afternoon through Saturday evening. Among other highlights, a homeless-looking guy with dreads down to the floor sent his friend over to me while I was eating lunch to tell me he wanted to hook up. Oh yeah, I've still got it! I politely declined while stating that I was married with four kids which produced plenty of ribbing from all his pals. Besides added bonuses like this, I like to go to those events because there are not many places you can surround yourself with so much positivity. I am so impressed with the resiliency, work ethic, faith, and attitude of the powerful women we are able to learn from.
We have been pet-free since our short foray into having a kitten about 6 years ago. The kids have wanted to have a pet so bad for so long, but I just couldn't bring myself to have something else to take care of or more poop to have to worry about. I would satiate their appetite for wanting a pet by pet-sitting Little J's class guinea pig every once in a while. We had it most recently over Spring Break, and Little J did such a good job of taking care of it and it brought them so much entertainment, I started to think that maybe I could handle having a small animal confined to a cage. Just about that time, some people we know had some baby dwarf hamsters they were wanting to find homes for. So, now we have the very fluffy and active Buddy and the albino and pretty lazy Fluffy (both girls, despite what the names may indicate). You would be surprised at how much entertainment they have provided. I think it was a good choice for us.
I ran my first 10k (6.2 miles) of the season on Saturday. I had never done this race before, but am so glad I did because I really loved the course. It was in a beautiful area and although there were hills, the last bit had a nice downhill push. It was nice weather, even though it was chilly in the low 30s when we started. The last time I did a 10k, I did it in a little over an hour, so my goal was to do this race in an hour or less. I set a new personal best at 56.03 minutes, so I was happy with that. For my female 35 - 39 division I placed 27/187 and overall 379/1391. My next race is a half marathon on the 16th, so we will see how that goes. I have to admit that I really enjoy the 10k distance much more than the half, and I always wonder why I sign up for half marathons when I don't like to do the long runs to train. Why is that??? I guess I like the challenge.So we shall see how it goes.
Until then, I will leave you with a great ant-killing remedy. We always get ants in our kitchen every spring. This year they started moving in again and I was spraying them and stinking up the place like usual. So I found a recipe for a natural mixture that kills them. You mix an equal amount of powdered sugar with baking soda, and then add about a 1/3 of that amount of active dry yeast. Then you sprinkle it around where they come in. The sugar masks the other stuff and they take it back to the nest and it kills them. I did that 3 days ago and have only seen one ant since. Just add "exterminator" to my resume.
3 comments:
April and May are really busy for me too!!
I know all too well what is like to have your husband out of town for long periods of time. Jared has been home for about 6 days in the last 5 weeks! He's in Seattle right now!
Good job on the 10k!!
Thanks for the pest remedy. I will use that!!
For us it's March and April when I want to shoot myself for all the busybusybusy. But it's almost over...May is usually blessedly lovely.
Congrats on your 10K! That's wonderful!
Post a Comment