Monday, June 4, 2007

Aaaah, Summer!

It is 1:15 in the afternoon, and I am writing a blog post. That never happens in real life. At least not mine. But now that it is officially summer vacation, I feel like I can breathe again. My calendar does not have multiple "have to do" things listed on each day, and although I am still busy, I feel ok about it.

I think routines are good, but I am really liking not having to worry about taking kids at certain times and picking up kids at certain times, and trying to work everything I need to do into little pockets of time. Today I've gone to a doctor's appointment and done a couple of errands, am about to head to the store and then take the kids for a haircut, and I have a meeting tonight, but it just feels different.

I have been making a list of all the fun stuff there is to do around here with kids - and there is A LOT - that is either free or is very inexpensive. It is amazing how much you can find out about your area by picking up free publications, looking online, and looking through coupon books! All kinds of places I never knew about were revealed.

My plan was to make this list and then actually schedule it on my calendar, because otherwise I will do like I've done every other summer and think about all the fun stuff, but in reality only do a small handful. So I made this list and got out my calendar to start putting the things I wanted to do on it, and I had to laugh because there was really only about 3 good weeks worth of days to work with. On top of already scheduled things, we will be out of town one week this month, two weeks next month, and then Big J will start school on August 15. So that doesn't leave a lot of downtime. Easily fillable with the regular pool time, library time, cookouts in our backyard and an occasional visit to somewhere else. But I am determined to make those "somewhere else" places unique this year.

What is your favorite summer activity?

1 comment:

Tori :) said...

My personal favorite summer activity is forking out $1000+ for airfare to send kids to Texas and get kids from Canada. Soooo much fun.
Just kidding. I like sitting outside in the sun, reading a magazine and letting Taj and Liv run around. But right now our yard is dirt, so until I get back from Texas we're hanging inside a lot. I also love picking kids up from the airport. :)