Friday, June 29, 2007

Men are from Mars

I am watching one of my friend's girls tonight and they and the boys have been playing all evening outside in the backyard. Which is a very good thing, considering it has been raining for the last 3 days and all of us were going stir-crazy. It is unseasonably cool, so I have the windows open and every so often will go and peek out and watch a minute to make sure everything is fine. This is a true conversation I overheard. I admit I lingered a little longer when I heard this, until my youngest gave away my stealthy spying position.

Girl (who is 8): M-A-K-E-O-U-T

Big J (who is 6 and 3/4): What does that mean?

Girl: Make out.

Big J: Yeah, but what does that mean?

Girl (with disbelieving look): Are you serious? You're taller than me and you are 6 years old. You should know what that means.

Big J: I don't! What does it mean?

Girl: Don't you ever watch Nickelodeon?


By this time, they were walking too far away for me to hear without falling out of the upstairs window, and they had become distracted by the other two on the trampoline. I heard the girl say something like, "You lay back down in bed or you will get a spanking!" to them.

A few minutes later, Big J comes in and is rummaging around for their light sabers.

"What are you playing?" I asked.

"Star Wars."

(I am quickly calculating how the previous conversation could coincide with playing Star Wars. An image of Princess Leia in a gold bikini pops into my mind).

"Oh, I thought I heard her tell the others to lay down like they were kids in bed."

"Yes, it's a new game. Star House."

Later, Little J clarified even further that it was a game made up of playing Star Wars and house. "Get it? Star from Star Wars and then House. Star House."

Sounds good to me. Who says men are from Mars and women are from Venus?

2 comments:

Tori :) said...

That little girl must watch "Drake & Josh" or something. Because Spongebob doesn't make out with anyone. Thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

Yup ~ that would be my 8 yr old. She doesn't even know what the word means. She likes to watch Drake & Josh but Spongebob is still our fav. Not much of a selection of girls on Spongebob to "make out" with. There's Sandy, Pearl, and Mrs Puff. Hmmmmmm.....