It's another edition of Around the Water Cooler. My version of random subjects lumped into one post.Topic #1: What the...?
I was shocked, shocked I tell you, by American Idol's results last night. Michael Johns was my second favorite, and one I definitely think we will hear from in the future even though he got the boot. I think going first and wearing that "I'm a painter in Paris" outfit while singing an Aerosmith song did him in. I think if he had worn what he had on last night and performed it like he did last night, he would still be around.
Topic #2: Observations of a 5-year-old
While Big J was in his Tae Kwon Do class, Little J and I were sitting next to a woman who is pregnant. She is due next week, so there is no doubt she is pregnant. At one point during the class, Little J leans over and "whispers" (I say this in quotations because it is whispering according to Little J but no one else) in my ear, "I think that lady is going to have a baby because look" and then he discreetly points toward her stomach. This was shortly followed by, "Why does that girl keep scratching her butt?!" in reference to one of the students in class.
Topic #3: Crazy People
Just for the record, the compound down in Texas that was busted for marrying off and impregnating barely pubescent girls is not part of the church I go to. Never has been, never will be.
Topic #4: The Definition of Resiliency
A couple of weeks ago I was at a lunch and had brought up a show I had seen regarding all the orphans in Africa, and how sad it was to me to see them living on the streets and not having the basic things I think a child should be able to have. There was a girl there that I didn't know very well. And she began to share her story...
She is originally from Guatamala. Her mom was an alcoholic that was always coming home completely wasted and/or with different guys all the time. When this girl was 8, one of these men molested her and her mom didn't believe her and the guy actually ended up moving in with them. So she ran away. She lived on the street until she was 13.
At that time, a friend told her she knew someone who could get her into the U.S. but she needed to get up to Mexico. So she managed to get herself up to Mexico, filled out the "official" paperwork, and paid this person the money she supposidly needed to get into the U.S. Then he sold her for $600 to a man here.
She was kept by this man for 5 years, until he ended up being deported, at which time she was able to get away. She now is 23, a mother of two children, and in a very stable, happy family life. She is a good person. She is an attentive mother. She is beautiful. She is kind.
I just sat there not knowing what to say and trying not to cry into my burrito. I just told her that I thought she was a great person to begin with, but after hearing her story, I have so much respect and admiration for her. She had experienced more in her young lifetime than most of us will ever see, and yet here she was unjaded and warm-hearted. What an incredible example to all of us. It is truly a choice what we make of our lives.
Topic #5: Useful Government
Every time I watch something about people, especially kids, living in horrible conditions it just breaks my heart. I often wonder why I have been so blessed. I also wonder why things that could easily be prevented or eradicated for minimal cost and effort, such as malaria, are still killing millions of people. I was impressed on Idol Gives Back how Gordon Brown, the Prime Minister of England, said that their country would provide 20 million mosquito nets to Africa. If England can do that, every other country should be able to do that and more. Why doesn't the UN get together and do something useful?
Topic #6: A Riddle for You
Here is a riddle that Little J made up. See if you can figure it out. The winner will get a notable mention on this blog. :-)
What is in the sky and wiggly?
Go back to work now.
7 comments:
Regarding the Aussie: in my opinion it was the falsetto singing which did him in. Notice he didn't do that last night after he was eliminated.
That story of your friend's is incredible. So many people have so much to share and to offer, we can learn so much. How wonderful that she has made choices to make her life what it is instead of following the patterns which were laid out in front of her (false traditions).
I can't believe that woman's story. Wow.
I thought how Ryan Seacrest made it sound like they weren't eliminating anyone like last year and then said "You ARE going home tonite" was lame.
The answer to Lil J's riddle is my butt is in the sky and wiggly when I am in an airplane.
a kite
I was also surprised!
He was one of my top 3!! I hope he makes a cd soon! I love the sound of his voice. BTW I thought he did an awesome job with that song! It reminds me of my HS Math teacher...she always said "Dream on, People" In a not so positive way. We made fun of her over it!!
Ashton's school raised money to buy nets for African children! Nickels for Nets!
My kids guessed : a cloud and one said an animal!!
Go see my blog for a mysterious picture!!
Your boys are so stinking funny. They make me laugh so hard.
And no idea on the riddle.
Well I was going to guess a kite, but someone else did, so I will guess a wasp.
Wow, very good conversation Tara. I was really intrigued throughout the whole thing. That is fascinating that you had lunch with that woman. She could write a good book I bet.
Post a Comment