Monday, April 7, 2008

I'm in a Quandary

In order to keep myself motivated to get in shape, I had decided to run in both the June 7th Hospital Hill 1/2 Marathon and the October 18th Kansas City 1/2 Marathon. That is until tonight when I was reading on their websites that there is a ban on headphones! I guess technically the race I just ran in, since it is endorsed by USATF also, should have banned them, too. This is what the sites say:

Hospital Hill's (*sidenote - you know it is a bad thing when the word hill is used in the actual race title. I checked out the course map and it is pure hills) says : "USATF sanctions Hospital Hill, and USATF insures this race. We have to follow USATF rules to keep our sanctioning and insurance, and the suits and lawyers have made clear that without insurance, this race will not occur."

KC Marathon says: "No headphones, iPods, strollers, dogs, skateboards, bicycles, rollerblades or motorized vehicles will be allowed on the course."

AAGH! I know I haven't had my iPod that long, but I've kind of become addicted to it. I rely on it to push me through. What's a girl to do? And what kind of sick person decided it would be a good idea to take the music away while people punish themselves running unnatural distances??!!!

I'm ticked off.

6 comments:

Tori :) said...

That's the dumbest rule I have ever heard in my life. Well, maybe not IN MY LIFE, but it's pretty stupid.
I wouldn't be able to do it.

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

O' Yeah! I forgot to mention that!!

I'm a little bummed !!

So far that is you, me, and two other friends!!

wooooo hoooo!

Daisie said...

Oh My Lame!! I didn't know that! What could possibly be the reason for that??!! But I am thrilled your doing it!

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Hey they make those rules, but they don't enforce them. The marathon last year I saw tons of people wearing headphones. I think they make that rule because you may not hear people behind you zipping in front... and there could be a collision. LAME!!! But awesome of you Tara to make goals. You will love it. But you are right... very hilly.

swampbaby said...

To all - I've already decided to be a rule breaker since I can state with some certainty that I will not be a top finisher, so I figure they don't really care after that. And millisue, I think "love" is a little strong for the feelings I may have during these particular events. ;-)

~j. said...

I always thought that was an unnecessary rule because if you can't listen to your iPod so that you're able to hear vehicles approaching...hello, aren't the streets closed off for the race? And besides, who wants to run without listening to music?