Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hospital Hill Run *edited

Just a quick report that I did run and finish the 10k (6.2 miles) this morning. It was a much more pleasant experience than the freezing cold, windy, out-in-the-sticks experience the half-marathon was. Instead, it was HOT (even at 7:00 a.m.), HUMID (75% or more), and HILLY. I was on my own, though, so I don't have any pictures. That's probably a good thing since I was sweating like a pig before the 1st kilometer was over.

I was pleased with my results, although, I admit that I walked up half of one of the hills. I know I could have made it running all the way up, but I wanted to be able to actually finish the race so I made the choice to walk it the last half of the hill in order to not pop an artery trying to make it all the way up. The fact that I could break the hill down into proverbial halves should give you an idea of what kind of hill it was. That was really the only terrible hill on the 10k course, so I'm glad I chose to do this race instead of the 1/2 marathon this time around. There were other hills, but they were more comparable to what I am use to training on.

My results* were as follows:

Time: 1 hour 1 minute and 41 seconds
Overall place: 257/809
Gender place: 79/464
Division place: 15/89

So, overall I did better than when I ran the last race. I was secretly hoping I could finish it in an hour flat, but alas, the mother hill killed my plan. I will definitely have to be in much better shape for the October half-marathon now that I know what kind of terrain I will be dealing with.

*Today (6/14/08) I checked back for the final results and the numbers were a little bit off in the preliminary results, so here are the real numbers:

Overall: 262/814
Gender: 82/466
Division: 16/90




9 comments:

Tori :) said...

Sister you are awesome! WIll you turn around to find me in our 5k?

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

I am soo proud of you!!

way to go!!

Ps. I chickened out for the October race!!

I can't get people to watch my kids!! and I cant justify paying someone for me to train!!

I will come cheer you on!!

Anonymous said...

A chip off the old block, eh?! J/K

S&J Jones Family said...

Wow, great job Tara! That takes a lot of discipline. You are so awesome!

Sarah Oman said...

Sorry I had ditch...
I am so glad that you did it though! Now what race are you going to train for?

Holly said...

What an accomplishment!!! Way to go! I seriously admire moms that get out there and do awesome like that!!!
On a totally different note, where do you live? We were going to have a little "reunion" with some families from Union Square at the beginning of July. I heard Kansas and Spanish Fork... let me know if you're around!

Holly said...

I know the Browns, Bells, DeHarts, Burtons, Stohls, Stringhams, and Bullocks are here...so let me know if I missed anyone! Sad you're so far away...We're just having a reunion for 2 reasons... First, the Rogers are coming into town for a couple days...and second...we need a reason to have a party! Maybe you can come next time:)

Maddy said...

you are so awesome! that's way better than I could ever do!

S said...

DUDE I know those hills. You are a FREAK. Wait! Do I know you well enough to say that. Maybe not but that is some serious running! Great job! I am impressed!