Sunday, June 29, 2008

What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas Part 1

I am back from a too short trip to Las Vegas for my brother Walker's wedding. His wife Lissette is from there, so oh darn, we had to go to see them married. Correction - I had to go - by myself - without any kids - to see them married. Jealous?

I flew out Thursday night and flew back in very early Sunday morning, so in reality there was only Friday to paint the town and then Saturday was devoted to all that marriage stuff. So here is a recap:

Thursday evening - I flew to Vegas. This in and of itself was exciting only due to the fact I had no small children to entertain on the flight. I didn't even have to ask for my drink to have a plastic cover put on it also so it wouldn't be spilt. My mom picked me up at the airport after valiantly sacrificing her Tournament of Knights tickets to do so. My sister Tori flew in later, so I met her at the rental car place because she is a big chicken and didn't want to drive by herself. I don't think we went anywhere besides our resort that night.

That's right, our resort. I like to travel anytime my parents are involved because we stay at their time share resorts and it is luxurious. And free. :-) That night I slept well, but woke up at 4:30 (6:30 our time) because that is when I would normally be getting woken up at home. I forced myself to lay there in and out of consciousness and then I couldn't stand it anymore so I was up by 6:15. Tori couldn't sleep either. So we got up and sat around waiting for everyone else to wake up. We were VERY QUIET (right Mom?).


Friday was filled with no schedule. So my mom and I jogged around the non-jogger friendly blocks because we both hate treadmills, and then we all went to the pool and layed out. Did I mention this was without kids? Very different experience than with. Here is the pool (this shot is from my room):
Then we got cleaned up and waited forever while eating free popcorn and brownies while my parents did some business with the time share people. We entertained ourselves by taking pictures like this (that's a cardboard dude, in case you can't tell):

Finally, my sisters and I took off to go to Caesar's Palace (which I mistakenly kept referring to as Little Caesar's) to eat. At least that was the plan. Tori, Ali and I took an unintended detour and by-passed the Palace and ended up on the highway headed to Salt Lake City! We were laughing our heads off as I repeatedly warned my sister not to wreck because we had declined the extra rental insurance even after the Budget lady made it very clear to us what a dumb decision that was. Eventually, we did end up on the opposite end of the strip and worked our way back only to get a call from my mom saying they were on their way, but they had also ended up on the highway so they would be a little late. It must be hereditary...
We ate at Cafe Lago in Caesar's Palace, which was very nice. Then we hit the floor. Let me tell you what kind of high rollers my sister and I are - I won $33.75 at the penny slots. Oh yeah! Here is proof:
If it's been a while since you've gone hard-core gambling like us, then you will notice gone are the days of those flimsy plastic cups collecting 3375 pennies pouring out of the machine. Instead you get to print a voucher and take it to a machine that cashes you out. It's kind of like that ticket monster machine that eats the tickets and gives you a receipt at Chuck E. Cheese's. I am glad to say that I am not an addictive gambler, and would only put in the puny dollar here and there and then quit when I broke even. Yeah, I'm crazy like that. Not like my sister who lost $24 on the quarter slots. I think I need to call Gamblers Anonymous on her...

We spent most of the afternoon in Caesar's Palace watching the sinking of Atlantis show and buying overpriced toy swords and shields for the kids. Tori and I got even crazier and took off to the games at Excalibur. Lest you think I am talking about blackjack or other games of that nature, I blew 5 bucks trying to win an ugly stuffed dog and she won 2 bears for her kids.


I have too many pictures to choose from, so I will spare you having to look at too many. But I will put more pics and videos (wait till you see the Mom and Son dance at the reception) to come in Part 2. Here is a taste:

11 comments:

Holly said...

A trip to Vegas without kids?! What a treat:) Damon and I ate at Cafe Lago last time we were there and LOVED their food! Looks like an extra fun time...and your new sis-in-law is beautiful!
BTW...we changed our blog address to http://littlesugarlotsofspice.blogspot.com/
Can't wait for part 2!

Rach said...

I am so jealous of your trip to Vegas with no kids!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Maddy said...

Your family is so cute! And what a great wedding! I am so jealous of all the kid free time. Did you get a book finished?

Anonymous said...

without kids?!!!! I don't understand the meaning of that phrase

Tori :) said...

Great recap Sister! Hey- at least I WON the $24 first, right?

Am I pregnant? Just wondering because I look-it in all the pics. Is my arm pregnant too?

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Whoa, who knew how crazy Tara really is... sinner... looks like such a fun trip. You totally deserved a break! Glad you had fun with your sister and fam.

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

O what fun!! I too am jealous! NO KIDS! Lonnie and I are soo waiting to do something without kids! You wanna sit for a week?? LOL I crack my self up!!

I love all the pics! All of you are gorgeous!! YOu have a beautiful family! Lissette is a great addition!

Glad you had fun!

omar said...

Here from Tori's. Hi!

After seeing Tori with her "thumbs up" pose with Richard Petty and you with your similar pose with your winning ticket, I just want to put it out there that I'll be mildly disappointed if I don't see at least one wedding picture of somebody with at least one thumb up.

I'm thinking of something like Walker doing the trademark swamp-family "thumbs up" pose at the altar, maybe? Look through your pictures, see what you have.

S&J Jones Family said...

No kids? I bet that was a blast! On the 30th I'm going on a girl's only trip with my sisters and Mom for 5 days...no kids allowed (except one newer baby because he's...well, new and nursing). I can't wait!! I'll be braggin' it up too in a month or so :)

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I'm here from Tori's, you have such a fun blog!!
I totally tried on that wedding dress that she is wearing. She looks gorgeous!

s--max said...

Hey there! Hopped over from Tori's blog. Love Part 1. Can't wait to read Part 2. Love the pics. Y'all are such a pretty family ~ as always. :)