Thursday, October 30, 2008

Random Funnies

Little Man - Everytime Little Man is in our backyard and the wind is blowing the trees pretty hard, he yells at the trees. I think he gets creeped out that they are moving so much and doesn't like the rustling sound the leaves make. So he'll sit on the trampoline and look up at them and yell, "NO!" while pointing his finger at them.

Little J - Little J has been trying to impress me with his math skills on random occasions. He'll come up to me and inform me of things like, "Mama, did you know 8 + 8 is 16?" So the other day he brings home a kindergarten worksheet that he was suppose to have filled in the missing number. It had things like "6, ___, 8" and "3, ___, 5". Instead of filling in the missing number of the sequence he wrote in the answer to the problem. So, for example, instead of it being "8,9,10" he would write in 8, 18, 10". All his answers were right if that was what he was suppose to have been doing. It made me think of the time I got an "N" on my math work in 2nd grade because I had done all the subtraction problems as addition. The answers were right, just not what I was suppose to have done. (I remember instead of throwing away that paper, I just tried to hide it under the pile of my other papers thinking my parents would somehow not see it....)

Big J - As part of Red Ribbon Week today, the kids were allowed to bring in MP3 players, Ipods, etc. to listen to music during their silent reading times. Big J wanted to bring my Ipod. I'm sorry, but I don't think 8-year-old kids should have $200 Ipods, and I wasn't going to let him bring mine to school. But I wanted him to be able to have some music. So what did I do? I dug out an old Walkman, popped in a Beatles 20 Greatest Hits tape, and he was good to go. He was also extremely excited when I told him he could keep the Walkman - it could be all his. I asked him how it went today and he proudly reported that "no one else had a thing like his - he was the only one!" Oh yeah, Big J was kickin' it old school! I'm sure most of those kids had never even seen a Walkman or a cassette tape before. My poor, deprived child...

4 comments:

rogersinkc said...

That is a hoot!

Tori :) said...

Hey- Napoleon had a walkman. There's no school like old school.

Daisie said...

Love the update on your cute little guys! It was so fun to see you tonight! Hope to see you again soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Blowing trees are creepy.
Math runs in the family.
Old school rules.

CWH