Thursday, February 24, 2011

News Flash


So, it's butt cold and sleeting and snowing here. Again. Oh hooray. I enjoyed the 2 days of spring we had. In other news...

Since Little J is turning 8 soon, tonight at the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet they introduced him as a new Scout. The cubmaster told me today when we were setting up that if he did his Bobcat requirements before the banquet then they would award it to him tonight, as well. I told him that when he got home from school and you would have thought I told him he would win a million dollars. He was all over it and so proud and excited to be in his Scout uniform and get his award. So cute.
 

Little Miss is officially off bottles and officially done being sad she is off bottles. She had been on them way longer than any of my other kids were, but she still seems so little because she is my baby and I was  actually a little sad when I finally put them all away. But we all got over it and I am glad to report she is no longer dehydrating herself through her protests.

Little Miss is a funny girl. She has got a lot of personality wrapped up in that little body. She is really smart, too. She's adding a lot of words to her vocabulary, which come out randomly. She laughs a lot. Sometimes I think she takes a goofy pill because she is quite amusing to herself. Her latest favorite thing to do is to read. I ad lib a lot of parts into the books I read her (keeps it exciting after reading the same books 200 times) and when she is "reading" them to herself she puts those parts in, too. For example, there is one book that talks about teaching your dog a lot of words and one part says "he'll sing with birds" and on that part I always raise my arm up like I am singing and make some opera-ish lalalalalalalaLAAA sound. So now when she is reading and gets to that part she always does that.

Big J has been busy with school and all his extracurriculars. He just got done doing his biography bottle project where he had to read a biography about someone and make a 2 L bottle look like that someone. He did his on Helmuth Hubener because his mom is weird and already had a child-appropriate biography on him. He is still taking piano, guitar, is in the CSI (Cool Science Investigations) club, Battle of the Books club,  Scouts and basketball. I have been the assistant coach for his bball team this year and have loved it.  He's done really well, too. It helps that he is about a head taller than 99% of the other kids. This last game he was rebounding really well and reading the passes and getting a lot of steals. It's fun to watch your kids play sports.

Little Man is keeping pretty busy himself. Since the beginning of this year, he started attending joy school twice a week on top of his regular preschool days, which he really enjoys. He is a great helper and loves to play with his little sister. He keeps her laughing and is a peacemaker in our home.

I decided to sign up for a half marathon that is in mid-April. Seven weeks from this weekend to be exact. I had already signed up for two 10k races (one is the first weekend in April and one is the first weekend in June) just to keep myself motivated, but I kept eyeing this half and finally just decided to suck it up and do it. Needless to say, I have only been running on the treadmill since we've had such awesome weather (although I did run outside 2 days last week and it rocked) so I'm getting a little worried if I'll be able to get enough distance runs in before then because I hate running on a treadmill and max out after 4 or 5 miles. But I figure that if I could go from running zero miles to running a half in just 10 weeks, which is what I did the very first time I ran a half, then I can do this one this time since I already have a decent base to go from. The last half I did was the week I found out I was pregnant with Little Miss and then the only race I've done since then is one 5k that was pretty ugly. So we shall see.

I'm excited for next weekend because I am going (alone) to Utah for my friend Kim's wedding. Yay! I am going to get to see lots of my good friends and my sister-in-law while I am there. It is going to be fun!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool.

Lt Dan

Anonymous said...

Maybe it should have been COOL,COOL.

Lt Dan

Karina said...

I tried taking Jacob's bottle away, but it made me sad, I couldn't do it. Soon, I hope.

Anonymous said...

Tell everyone I said "Hi" Totally wish I could be there:( Stacey

Tori said...

Tristan and Alec were both cub scout "nerds" earning things all over the place. Too bad they aren't that way now. In fact, I'm pretty sure Alec has passed Tristan up... haha
See y'all in less than 2 weeks!!

The Griner Family: said...

Dude, your a flippin' awesome mom!