Thursday, June 7, 2007

Unsettled

Some of you have probably heard, at least briefly, of the young woman killed in our community this past weekend. Besides the tragedy of something like that happening, I think everyone is a little more freaked because her abduction did not happen while she walked alone in some seedy, unlit area, but instead happened in broad daylight from a busy Target parking lot. I shop at that Target. A lot. My city is a nice, safe, family-friendly place and I admit I probably feel more comfortable and at-ease at times than I should.

But this has definitely shocked me out of that sense of security. Last night I couldn't sleep. I'd start to fall asleep and get in that state of half wakefulness/half sleep and start having weird thoughts/dreams. I dreamed that I was loading my kids in the car at Target and someone started attacking me. Then I'd startle awake and feel so panicked. Not for me, but for my kids. I mourned for the family that just lost their daughter. I finally went and crawled into Little J's bed for a little bit, just so I could be in the same room with two of them and feel like they were ok.

I have often thought about how vulnerable I am when I am in a parking lot with all my kids. I'm distracted trying to make sure none of them are getting run over, loading them and whatever else into the van, buckling car seats with my back turned and my hands occupied. I have often run through the scenario of what I would do if someone came up behind me. All I know is that if I ever die from some low-life attacking me, they and everyone else will know that I put up a dang good fight. My goal would be to make them regret ever choosing me as their victim. I may lose in the end, but it would not be easily.

It's very rare that I am ever alone, so most of my scenarios involve having my babies with me or in the near vicinity. I'm not trying to be morbid, but I think you really do need to run through all these kinds of situations and have an idea of what you would do. The attacker has a plan, so should you. The cool thing is that you can be the surprise element.

2 comments:

Tori :) said...

I am like psycho aware when I am out and about. I walk with my finger on the panic button on my keychain. I load the groceries before the kids. I park by a cart return place so I don't have to walk away from the car. If I do have to walk away I lock the car again so no one can sneak in then. I'm like you- I plan on putting up a huge fight. I feel like if I had my kids with me the whole "Mama Bear" thing would come into affect. But t sure changes the situation.

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

I would rather make a huge fit in the parking lot than be found in a wooded area dead. I would fight, bite, scream, anything and everything. Even if it meant that my children watched me get murdered. At least my family would have peace of mind, knowing where I WAS!!!

BTW: I repeated the DWD class, and AGAIN. Parents of FOUR yr olds!!!UMMMMM