Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Haven't you always felt like Thanksgiving was kind of the red-headed stepchild of the holiday season? I mean, Halloween isn't even over yet and all the Christmas decorations start popping up. The only thing most people associate Thanksgiving with is eating to excess, football, and good sales. It's kind of sad. That being said, let's talk about Christmas!

I don't know about you, but I like starting Christmas right after Thanksgiving. Growing up, it was tradition to have the tree and all our decorations up by the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I've tried to adhere to that, although I am not as efficient as my mother and so it doesn't always happen. But it is going to this year. I am determined.

I also like listening to Christmas music early. This past week I was loading my CD player up with Christmas CDs, and I had to laugh at the eclectic collection I had. I have 20 Christmas CDs. I don't know if that is normal or a lot, but it seems kind of weird to me. They range from Kenny G Miracles to My Kind of Christmas by Christina Aguilera (yes, I am admitting that). I have classical, I have country, I have old school, I have acappella, I have church.... And I like them all!

What is funny is that my favorite ones are probably ones that you've never even heard of, much less own. Christmas at Our House by Barbara Mandrell anyone? I LOVE that CD. How about Christmas at Home by Donny Osmond? Some of the CDs I have are not my favorite, but I have favorite renditions of songs off of them and that's why I keep them around. But these two, as well as The Forgotten Carols by Michael McLean are my sentimental favorites.

My all-time favorite Christmas song is "O Holy Night" and, honestly, I don't care who sings it (well, except maybe Cartman off of South Park) because it will, without a doubt, bring tears to my eyes. I love that song. I think it is beautiful and the perfect embodiment of Christmas and all it represents. I also love the songs "Mary, Did You Know?" (the one by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd is my favorite), "Breath of Heaven" (biased towards Amy Grant's version), and Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. Maybe not traditional picks, but those are my favorite Christmas songs.

I just recently purchased Josh Groban's Noel and I was caught off-guard by his "Silent Night". It really touched me, and even brought a few tears to my eyes. I don't even like that song that much (is that sacrilege?), but I have never heard anyone so able to relay the reverence and sacredness of Christ's birth as he did when he sang that song. It was awesome.

I will write more about Christmas and Christmas traditions closer to the big day, but for now, I will leave you with this (and, yes, I know all the words....):

7 comments:

Lara Neves said...

The day after Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year. Getting up early to go Christmas shopping, pumpkin pie for breakfast, coming home and blasting the Christmas music and putting up the decorations...what could be better?

Maddy said...

I looooove the day after Thansgiving too. It's my favorite day of the year because there is so much fun stuff to do and look forward to! It's like the first day of school -- a whole year of newness to look forward to!

I've already started putting up the decorations and I hope to finish tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving!

swampbaby said...

I'm totally opposite - I don't even like shopping on normal days, much less when everyone and their dog is out. I avoid the stores as much as possible the day after. I'm going to start putting up my decorations instead.

Tori :) said...

Too bad we can't put the video up of YOU lip syncing this... With the preggo mom in the background. Yes, I remember. LOL!

Tori :) said...

I forgot to mention- I have Christinia Aguilera's Christmas cd too. I like it. I also have a cd that has Clay Aiken singing "O Holy Night" and I LOVE it. That's the whole reason I bought the cd. It's my fave.
Do you have Barbara Mandrell on cd? What about Amy Grant? Livie destroyed my tapes.

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

I totally agree with on Josh Groban!!

I to LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas songs and music!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate the day after! I work at the mall. Whaaaa!!!