Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Man-Hands

Today I finally bit the bullet and took my wedding ring that I haven't been able to wear for, oh, about five years, and had it sized. Why the wait? Mainly because I kept hoping that my hands would return to their previously less-man-handedness size. That, and I figured it would cost me an arm and a leg to have it sized, or my ring would be ruined in the process.

I've always had man-hands - never dainty, thin, long fingered, cute hands. Let's put it this way - I can palm a women's basketball easily and almost a man's basketball. Thankfully, they aren't hairy. But with each child, my hands have done the same thing as my feet and increased in size. (All you skinny, normal-looking-when-you're-pregnant people can just shut up right now. You don't understand).

Anyway, over the years I have been able to either 1). squeeze my ring on and barely be able to get it off, 2). squeeze my ring on and then look down to see my finger turning blue, 3).not even be able to get it past my knuckle, or 4). just wear a $30 ring I bought myself at a jewelry party to signify I really was bonafide.

I am not materialistic, and I'm not even really that sentimental in a lot of ways, but as of late, I had really started to miss my ring. So I finally took it today and to my surprise, it was not that expensive to have done, and they even had it done in one day! So I am now wearing my wedding ring. I called JC when I left and was all emotional about it.

I had to have it sized up 3/4 of a size, which doesn't seem like tons, but it makes a world of difference. What is sad is when you know that the previously referred to ring that I bought myself during my last pregnancy was 2 sizes up from my original wedding ring size and then 3 weeks later, in my last trimester, I couldn't even wear it anymore. That's how much I swell, and I don't think it ever totally goes away or something. I think my fingers got stretched out like my feet. But that's beside the point...

I am so happy to have my original ring back and I feel like a newly engaged person because I keep staring at it!! I'll invite you all over sometime so we can giggle over it.

7 comments:

rogersinkc said...

Way to go. I didn't have to go bigger but when Mike originally bought the ring it was two separate strands that crossed. It finally got so thin that it busted and they had to replace the entire bottom half of my ring but is now one solid (thicker) strand.

Daisie said...

Oh Tara! Thank You for posting this! Because I am having this problem these days!!!!! I can get it on, but I feel like I'm ripping my finger off some nights to get it off! I have debated and hate to give in to going bigger, but I probably should because I can see my big fat finger squishing out around it and it is driving me crazy!!!! And I just read your last post, and I didn't know you were running the 5K! Great Job getting 2nd in your age group, that is awesome!! Talk to you soon!

S&J Jones Family said...

Have you ever seen a barbed wire fence that is wrapped around a tree instead of a post? Well over time the tree grows around the wire and I feel like that is what my finger is doing. It's hard to get off and on and when I do take it off you can see where it's supposed to be like an hourglass figure between my knuckles. I have had to get mine sized a couple of times. My hands measure the same as 2 almost 3 of my brothers, my x-boss, and brother-in-law. I have man hands.

Tori :) said...

I'm glad you finally did that. I always wondered why you hadn't. YAY!!! Now you have a beautiful ring to show you are bonafide and that your husband isn't cheap. ;)

Tori :) said...

PS. If it makes you feel better, my ring is tighter than I was when we got married. I can barely take it off.

Anonymous said...

Bet your Dad is proud that you can grip a basketball. Giggle. Giggle.

CWH

Jessica said...

Wow! You can palm a women sized basketball! That is impressive.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

Also, have your hands grown in length at all after pregnancy or is it just width?

Thanks!