It was more like 2:30 - 5:30 a.m. visitors. I kept hearing something last night outside that I tried to ignore for like 2 hours, convincing myself it was a tree limb scraping the side of our house or some heavy raindrops hitting the gutters (even though there was only a light sprinkle). Finally, around 4:45 a.m. I got up to see what the heck was going on because someone was either trying to climb into our house or I didn't know what...
So I peak out our window and see what I thought was at first a cat. Then another one. Then another one. Turns out it was a mama raccooon with 3 babies. And then I saw why they were on our roof - there was a fox in our driveway circling around. I went downstairs to see if I could scare the fox away, but since everyone was asleep, and I really didn't want to go outside with the fox, I just turned on our porch light. I don't think it cared much about that, but it did eventually go away. But the raccoons didn't.
The mama went down while the babies kept walking around on our roof. I think they were trying to claw their way into our house or something, so I'm scared to go see what kind of damage was done. One of them even kept peaking up into our window. One kind of scared me once, because it just all the sudden was there right in front of my face like boo!
Finally, the mama comes back and she was so big that from the window, I couldn't even tell that it was her strolling back across the driveway. I was thinking, "What now?" So I run downstairs to get a closer look and realize it is the mom. It was really interesting - she went to the end of our porch and kind of walked back and forth under the railing a few times. She must have been calling her babies, because all of the sudden here they come, head first, sliding down the railing on our porch attached to the roof. Once they were all down, she led them into the bushes.
We think they must have a den under there. It has been known to house foxes in years past. We think we need to finally call the pest control and have them put up a fence under there to keep everything out, as entertaining as it all is. What's funny is that you'd think we lived out in the middle of nowhere with all the wildlife that comes to visit, but we are in a neighborhood right in the middle of town, a mile from 3 different major highways or interstates. Go figure.
5 comments:
You guys should start charging admission for people to come to your zoo!! Racoons are so smart (and mean). One year at girls camp we had one trying to get into our tent. I bet your boys would have loved it though!!
I think that is so neat!!
Just put some fox urine around or in your attic or whatever. It scares squirrels and raccoons, etc... Dad told me. I'm not quite sure where you buy fox pee, but...
It really is hard to collect the fox urine. You have to be quick.:0
Chief White Hair
How funny! About a month ago I opened the door to our garage in the evening and standing right there was a racoon. It didn't even budge when I was standing there. It just kept looking at me. I got a bit nervous, so my husband came out and ran it off. We've never had foxes though!
Last year when we were camping the girls left the van window down and racoons got INTO the van. They ate a bag of m&m's then left (thank goodness they didn't leave any "present" behind.) Also a couple of weeks ago our neighbor across the street had a coyote jump their fence and attack their little wiener dog about 9:30p
Post a Comment