I was thinking the other night about things I've done, and I realized a lot of them were because I just wanted to be able to say I'd done them. There might have been more motivation later on (or not), but the original driving force was simply to say I did. Some are big things, most are not. Some are closer to confessions than "just to say I did" activities, but after you read them, you're sure to think I'm cooler ;-)
1. I got corn rows done in my hair on the island of St. Thomas (in the U.S. Virgin Islands). But I couldn't afford to pay them for my entire head, so I just had the parts right around my face done.
2. I went spelunking in the middle of the night at a place called the Nutty Putty Cave when I was in college. These were not caves you walk into through the side of a mountain. To get in them, you go vertically down an opening and then have to slither through another tiny horizontal opening to get into the open areas. I get claustrophobic easily, so I don't know what I was thinking. And you had to rely solely on whoever said they knew the way and hope someone had left a rope or something for you climb to the various areas with. With places called "The Birth Canal" and "The Big Slide", I'm surprised I didn't die in there...
3. I was an Especially For Youth (EFY) counselor. I had attended EFY for three summers as a teenager and it made a big impression on me. When I became old enough to be a counselor, I thought it'd be cool to do and cool to say I had done. It rocked!
4. I ran in the St.George marathon. Notice the singular on that. It was purely to say I had done it.
5. Once when I was probably 10 or so, I went into a bathroom at Grandy's and while I was in there I decided I should see why people graffiti bathroom stalls. So I scratched a heart that said Jay + Heather inside of it.... Whew. I'm glad I got that off my chest.
6. I rode a camel at the Phoenix Zoo, just to say I've ridden a camel.
7. In 5th grade, I was one of the ring leaders in sinking the sub. If you've ever read the book "Thirteen Ways to Sink a Sub" you'll know what I'm talking about. I read that book, and thought I should try it. At the end of the day, I went bawling to her to apologize because I felt so bad. Yeah, I'm tough like that.
8. I hiked the Y my first week as a freshman at BYU. Then I did it on numerous other occasions for fun. But the first time was just to say I had been there.
I'm sure I have more, but they'll have to be another post. What things have you done just to say you've done it?
4 comments:
I remember you sinking the sub!! And you crying and apologizing. I can't believe you did that cave. There's absolutely no way I'd do that. Never, ever.
I snorkeled with sharks with Woogs in Florida. And I wrote "I Hate Mrs. Hallmark! Love, Bubba" omn the bathroom stall in 2nd grade. Stupid thing was that I signed a boys name in the girl's bathroom...
Everything else I plead the 5th.
Good post. I may copy you.
I'm copying you tomorrow- FYI. And I looked at those cave pics and got claustrophobic. Yuck. I thought I was the crazy one.
I always wondered why you ran that marathon.
I climbed Timp. just to say I did. I didn't want to be the only person in Utah that hadn't!
I chickened out of the Nutty Putty Caves that night. And with seeing the photos now, I'm still glad I did! I got to hang out in the dark, at the top of the hill with Josh for awhile, so not all bad. Stacey
Post a Comment